RE: [ai-geostats] Re: Sill versus least-squares classical variance estimateColin,

You misunderstood me, the 1 million data is the total unknown dataset. Say you have a volume in a
mine and it's volume is 1 million 1 metre core samples. You drill the volume and have a sample set
of 1000 1m core samples. You then analyse the statistics of the 1000 samples to try and estimate
the variance of the total volume (1 million core samples). So your estimate of the variance comes
from the 1000 samples. You can plot the variogram of the 1000 samples and you can also calculate
it's variance. You are trying to estimate the variance of the 1 million peices of core which you do not
have. So you must decide wether your 1000 sample set is a true representation of the 1 million.
Our argument is that samples within the 1000 which are clustered together do not create a good
representation of the true dataset and will create a biased estimate.

Digby
www.users.on.net/~digbym

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats