Dear Vineet,
I went to one Big Bazaar store today. Overall it was a good experience.
I have written about it  on my facebook, also copying it below.
https://www.facebook.com/prashantranjan.verma.5/posts/1667190163352567

I was extremely happy when I got the news that Big Bazaar is planning to
provide accessible shopping experience to persons with disabilities. We being a
visually impaired couple face difficulties on a regular basis in shopping. We
try to fulfil our requirements through online shopping and by ordering the
nearby shops on phone. But for many things we do need to go to stores like Big
Bazaar. We have always wanted to take advantage of the wide variety of products
and lower prices in Big Bazaar but inability to read the price tags and find
the desired product on the big shopping floor stops us from going there
regularly.

Being the chief functionary of a prominent organization for the visually
impaired, I understand the importance of this   initiative and therefore I
congratulate Big Bazaar for taking this step for the first time in the retail
industry. At my organization the National Association for the Blind (Delhi), I
interact with hundreds and thousands of visually impaired who have narrated
their difficulties with shopping in the past. This initiative of Big Bazaar
will in all probability push the other retail chains to follow  them and all
this is just good news for people who have difficulties in reading, hearing,
speech or mobility.

I decided to just walk into the Big Bazaar store in the Ambience Mall in Vasant
Kunj, New Delhi today to personally experience the change. I entered the Big
Bazaar carrying a white cane from their ground floor. After a few minutes I was
able to meet a person who seemed to be staff of Big Bazaar and I asked him to
take me to their customer care counter. He led me to the counter and introduced
me to the lady handling the counter. I told her that I needed assistance for
shopping. The lady immediately called a person from her team and asked him to
assist me. It seemed to me from their conversation that they were well aware of
what needed to be done. They requested me to come back for filling up a short
questionnaire after the shopping was completed.
I walked with the Big Bazaar staff holding his arm. He picked up a trolley for
me. Another Big Bazaar staff started walking with us to help in shopping. I
told them about all the things I needed so that they could stop at the first
shelf that had items of my interest.

They read out the names of the products and prices for me. Within few minutes I
got whatever I needed. This was such a big change from my previous experiences
when I have wasted so much time going around and around the shelves not being
able to find my desired products. . The Big Bazaar shopping assistant helped me
with the billing also   which was quick as well.  Then we walked to the
customer care desk where the lady read out the small questionnaire and noted my
response and contact details. I understand that this is a onetime survey to
better understand the need of the disabled customers and I am happy to help out
in it.

My shopping experience was hassle free and actually a pleasant experience. I am
just afraid that I will end up spending much more than my budget with this kind
of assistance at shopping. My wife is delighted to learn about my experience
and she can’t wait to go there with her big shopping list alone, since I am not
as patient as her at shopping!

I understand that for the team at Big Bazaar these are the first experiences of
catering to customers with a difference and therefore they are also learning to
react appropriately. The only small change I would like is to be immediately
identified as a customer requiring assistance on entering the store since I was
carrying a white cane. Today it happened after some time, I am sure when more
and more people like me will go to Big Bazaar, this aspect will also improve.

With thanks and best wishes for Big Bazaar and the person who took this
initiative,
Prashant Ranjan Verma
General Secretary of National Association for the Blind (Delhi), www.nabdelhi.in