so there is no problem, it works if you take logarithm you have the
partition 18:18, which is optimal as the sum us 36

the permanent:
the determinant is calculated by taking all permutations , and for each
permutation you multiply some elements of matrix, given by that permutation.
and then you sum it up, BUT you are also give sign according parity of
permutation.

In computing the permanent there is no such sign. you should look to book
Complexity theory:A modern approach, by arora and (sorry i dont remeber
second author name exactly)