Isn't this overkill? If you're already using a set, just check the set
before you insert each new element, and you'll discover the
duplicates:

S = empty
while i = input item existss
  if i in S output "i has a duplicate";
  insert i in S
end

XOR is generally useful only for detecting a single item that's
included in a list an odd number of times rather than an even number
of times.