Paul Davis wrote:

> >I have a program that read's from a raw midi device. In midi there
> >are some simple compression.  It is assumed that if the data flow is
> >correct, and the data should be interpreted as paramaters to previus
> >command if it's not a new command. But when I open a raw midi stream
> >I can get in to the stream without having the "previus" command. Is
> >there any way to do a query or reset the stream so I can get that
> >command? If it's only one midi channel sending the same type of
> >command it will never get in to sync!
>
> raw MIDI means ***RAW*** MIDI. there is no parsing, no state, no
> history, no automatic reset. you just read and write a stream of
> bytes.

Yes it raw. But it's sent by the sequcenser within alsa.  So the state is
there.

This is the configuration:

Roland MCR-8->midi-device->alsa-seq->user_code->alsa-seq->raw_midi

So how far back should I need to reset? The communication roland and
alsa-seq is in sync and
my user-land code is sending snd_seq_event_t. I guess that my problem
will disapear if I turn
active-sening-on and that is what I going to try.

> it sounds as if you should issue a full MIDI reset sequence when you
> open the device (all notes off on every channel, reset all controllers
> to a default value, restore all programs to a known state, etc.)

That will not help my reading. The device is in sync with alsaseq and
there shuld not
be needed to reset the transmitter. And even if I do. The merge of midi
streams could be
smart enough to see that it is of the same type.

--
foo!