Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> > > What makes you think that? AFAIK, the raw MIDI device code does no
> > > parsing of MIDI data at all ...
> >
> > Parsing? It sends raw midi on a stream. That stream is _from_ alsa seq.
> > It is doing the bandwith optimize by it self. I do the parsing.
>
> Ok, please, specify your problem in a more detailed way. At least, we need
> to know about midi paths in your applications and what sequencer clients
> are involved to help you. And yes, there could be a problem with running
> status, because our converts work with it.

I don't know how to be more specific. I have a program that listen to a raw midi

stream generated by alsa. But I try.

I have a midisport 8x8. It have a serial port. I have a computer linux. Alsa
don't have
driver for the unit. So I have writen a daemon that open the snd-card-virmidi
with
snd_rawmidi_open(). I have also writen a processor that handels event on a
sequencer level
to interface my Roland MCR-8 with varius applications, synths. Roland MCR-8 a
"multicontroler"
but it is not progammable. It have 9 knobs,9 slides a lot of buttons an a dialer
wheel.
But not all apps have the same mapping of events.  So the processor mapps them i
the way I like
to have them. But it is only control messages.  On the daemon side that
interfaces to the
raw midi stream in encapsulate them in to midimans format and sent them over the
serial port
to the unit. The unit is decapsulate them and send it to the right midi port.
But when I open the
virmidi device in raw mode. I is already assuming that I know what was the last
command. In my case
a control message.  Is this clear enougth? I know that this a very common midi
problem, but it should not have to be a problem within the same machine.

>                                                 Jaroslav
>
> -----
> Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer