Hi,
Marco Nadal hat gesagt: // Marco Nadal wrote:

> I have just tried
>  rpm -i alsa-2.2.19_0.5.10b-6.4mdk.i586.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         kernel = 2.2.19-6.4mdk is needed by alsa-2.2.19_0.5.10b-6.4mdk
>
> This is most enlightening, I have the wrong kernel!
> I had a look at the Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO, but sections 2.1 and 2.4 only
> cover the 2.2.x and 2.0.x kernels! My kernel = 2.4.18-6mdk

This has nothing to do with the kernel version number, but with the
actually compiled kernel. The modules must match the main kernel
build. That's probably why the rpm depends on a specific kernel. I am
on Debian, and here an even finer grain is used, to make alsa-modules
packages depend on a specific version of the installed kernel. I have
to recompile the kernel-alsa-modules everytime I rebuild my kernel,
even if it's the same kernel version.

> Does this mean, you need new drivers for every little incremental kernel
> change? Isn't this... insane? I mean, MS Windows NT comes out with a new
> service pack every 3 months, imagine if all the sound drivers had to be
> rewritten for every service release!

Imagine if you would have to download the whole kernel everytime ALSA
changes...
And imagine if we had the DLL-hell, that Windows has on linux. Okay,
we're coming close tho that...

> Anyway, is there any alsa package (.src or .rpm) that will suit my kernel?

You should consider upgrading to ALSA 0.9x anyways. ALSA 0.5 is
deprecated and will not get any bugs fixed, unless you find someone
who will bother with that task.

ciao,