Hi,
Marco Nadal hat gesagt: // Marco Nadal wrote:

> So the game is only compatible with Kernels 2.2.x and
> 2.0.x. Would the sourcecode (src.rpm) be compatible
> between kernel versions?

Yes.

> Is
> alsa-2.2.19-0.05.10b-6-6.4mdk.src.rpm
> the right source package for my system?

Please don't install ALSA 0.5.

> Also, I have sound in KDE already. So if I wanted to
> use anything written for ALSA, I'd have to ditch my
> current driver?

Yes. You probably have the so called OSS kernel drivers installed. If
an application uses the ALSA devices or the ALSA library, you need the
more capable ALSA sound system installed. What apps/game do you want
to use?

> How many Linux sound standards are there? This is
> looking worse all the time...

There are just two, not counting the commercial one: OSS (in the
kernel) and ALSA (soon in the stable kernel). That's less than
on Windows, where you have DirectX, ASIO, MME,...

> I originally thought the game just needed some
> run-time libraries. Isn't there an easier way to
> distribute programs for Linux? I find this unbearably
> confusing, complicated and time consuming.

What game? As I see it, your distribution makes it hard to install the
current ALSA drivers. I don't use Mandrake, so I can't be of much help
distribution wise, but if you want to install ALSA directly from
source, you can read detailed dokumentation on www.alsa-project.org on
how to do that.

Or you could try to live with the OSS kernel drivers, because that
obviously works, until Mandrake provides ALSA 0.9.

ciao