SO...when I changed the device in .asoundrc with number 16 instead of n, I actually caused troubles to xine, since it started playing back from the analog ouput too. I then deleted the file and rebuilt it with device 0 (the only one I have) as a default and I called it foo :-) !! XIne is working again but xmms (with foo in the alsa config) always plays from the analog output!! Im' getting depressed here... To get xine to work I just selected the expert mode and enabled all the ac52 and dolby options I could find!! :-)) One more thing...when I type this:

aplay -D hw:0,0 /osshare/mp3/Old.wav

I get this message:

Playing WAVE '/osshare/mp3/Old.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:829: Channels count non available

Thanks again, Marco