I forgot one more thing that could be fixed: simplify. The strong point of Linux is that there are 1001 ways to do anything. And the weakness of Linux is that there are 1901 ways to do anything. End users like simplicity. They want power, it's true, but they don't want to have a lot of choices. They want *one* choice and they want that option to be "the right one." OSS should go away. Forever. The compatibility code should stay but the actual OSS system should be removed. I know that's not necessarily the decision of the ALSA team but it should definitely happen at some point in the not too distant future.

Also, configuration should be simplified by only having one way to do things. Not sure exactly what that would mean, but limiting the choices of the user is pretty important.