On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:31:05PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> The Eye hat gesagt: // The Eye wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 06:41:27PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > > I have no problems with dropouts on my Delta Audiophile card. Do you
> > > run a low-latency/preemptible patched kernel?
> >
> > nope, since so far I have not found a reliable answer to the question
> > _which_ one I should run .. i.e. which patches I should use and so forth
> > .. Is it possible to have a kernel that has stability and security stuff
> > _as_well_as_ the low latency stuff?
>
> I run 2.4 in various versions with Andrew Morton's Low latency patch
> and the preemptible patch, which is already included in 2.6. No
> stability problems here, and certainly not because of these patches.
> Security-wise I don't see a problem with LL and Preemptible patch, but
> if you want to use JACK later on, you will need a tiny capabilties
> patch on 2.4, which *might* have security implications. I wouldn't run
> it on a public webserver, but I don't run a public webserver on my
> personal audio machine anyways.

Just to give a followup on this so ppl searching the archives might find
something useful ..

I am now using the ck-sources kernel which contains the Low Latency
patch, the preemtible patch, the O(1) scheduler from 2.6 and a few other
goodies (I just decided to go the easy way since I am a gentoo user and
ck-sources is available without myself needing to do any patching).

So far the result is _very_ satisfactorily, thank you for the pointer!

I haven't done any recording yet, but so far there were absolutely no
glitches in playback any more. What a difference!

[..snip..]

> Regarding xmms: I stopped using it on my ice1712 card months, maybe
> almost 2 years ago because it proved to be very unreliable, it doesn't
> understand the mixer on the Audiophile (OSS-emu or ALSA), it cannot
> change Volume on mixerless cards like my USB device because it
> requires a mixer which it doesn't even understand on the other card.
> But maybe this has changed in the last year.
>
> Because of all this I use alsaplayer for daily music delivery to great
> pleasure: It has a very clean architecture, it uses large enough
> buffers for skipfree audio even without realtime scheduling, it
> doesn't hurt the eyes, it can be remote-controlled from Pd, it's
> generally very cool.

The last time I had looked into it (admittedly, that was about 1.5 years
ago), it couldn't cope with the devices of ice1712, since it was trying
to use hw,0 which needs specific sampling rate, bit depth and channel
number. Apparently this has been fixed (it uses "default" now) and it is
working nicely. Well the gtk interface is kinda .. uh .. not so much to
my taste, most of all since it sometimes hangs a little (upon
encountering playlists with entries that can't be played), but the text
interface is fabulous, and the streaming works very well. Been listening
to net radio all evening yesterday ..

> Maybe it can make you as happy, too?

seems it does, thanks.

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye                 olymp.idle.at admin
check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key