[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Message: 11
> > From: Casey Heshler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:26:55 +0100
> > Subject: [Alsa-user] ALSA is dreamware on my system...
> >
> > Anyone who has been following the "saga" of ALSA, and me, and my posts,
> > will KNOW - I finally got ALSA running on my system, but, at a serious
> > cost. I now have "introduced" noise/static with any sound recording I do
> > - of which - this was not the issue with my "default" previous sound
> > within a hdd installed Knoppix.
> >
> > ALSA Subscriber E-Mail Group has been useless in getting any resolve for
> > the noise - and all I know is that I can't record without getting this
> > static/noise in my audio recordings now - which IS NOT a valid option.
> >
> > Upon posting a querry on how to yank out ALSA - the suggestion to rip
> > "alsa" from firing off in init.d - has turned into a system that has a
> > 1.7GHz processor, that now runs sluggish, and extremely slow, mouse
> > movement has become jumpy, instead of smooth moving, and if I wanted to
> > put ALSA back into the init.d, it refuses to be added because it doesn't
> > have a proper sort order ID.
>
> Whoops, sounds quite bad indeed.
> Well, at least the sluggishness should be able to get resolved quite easily
> by running top and watching what stuff slows the system down by e.g.
> hogging the CPU.
> Then run "ps fax|less" and look for the parent process of the CPU hogging
> process. Then look at the ALSA files in init.d and think about how this
> could have happened. Maybe you actually have module load/fail looping
> problem? (some modules might especially stall the system during init phase)
>
> Oh, and reinstalling ALSA init files in a working way should be possible
> using update-rc.d -f alsa remove
> update-rc.d -f alsa defaults
> That should fix the problem.
>
> But PLEASE - before finally removing ALSA, record the type of static/noise
> you get and place it somewhere for others to download/diagnose.
> Otherwise you would have filed irate complaint after irate complaint
> without anyone being able to diagnose the issue with some helpful data. ;-)

I would love for "someone" to hear what I am hearing - I can post a 10 second
WAV file, but my concern is - how, and where, do I do this? Can I place the
file in a "common" local location, and then post the target area???

> Also report
> lspci -v -v; cat /proc/interrupts

Ask, and you shall receive: (this is after getting alsa back to booting in the
init.d)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/installs# lspci -v -v;cat /proc/interrupts
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev 81)
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP]
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR+
        Latency: 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
        Memory behind bridge: dc000000-ddffffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d0000000-d7ffffff
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA+ VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev
40)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686/A PCI to ISA Bridge
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-

00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
(prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a) (prog-if 00
[UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a) (prog-if 00
[UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

00:07.4 Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97
Audio Controller (rev 50)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ProSavage KM133 (rev 03) (prog-if
00 [VGA])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 32 (1000ns min, 63750ns max), Cache Line Size: 0x08 (32
bytes)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
        Region 0: Memory at dd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
64bit- FW- AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
                Command: RQ=1 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP- GART64- 64bit- FW-
Rate=x4

           CPU0
  0:    7339660          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      21559          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:     290488          XT-PIC  serial
  5:       1024          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:     191718          XT-PIC  VIA686A
 12:     232860          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:     108740          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:       1580          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:    7339526
ERR:       1070
MIS:          0
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/installs#

Thank You for the Init.d stuff -=- IT WORKED -=- ALSA is back in Sys-V now,