> > I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and am able to listen to input on the
> > S/PDIF when using envy24control to patch it directly to HW 1 & 2 out. I
> > have not been able to get the S/PDIF to work through the mixer or be
> > able to record from any input.

works for me, mixer and record. I'll volunteer to help you out, but you'll
just have to wait over the weekend.

> > I posted a message over a week ago asking for configuration help and
> > have not received a single reply. I find a lot of other postings on the
> > list asking for help for this card, but there are no definitive answers.
>
> Yeah, one problem with Linux/Open source is that folks either ignore you
> or tell you to fix it yourself.  With commercial software they just ignore
> you if they can't help. :)

No. The problem is that some* people expect that their questions will be
answered 100% 24/7, and all this for free. People here are just
volunteers, not helpdesk, and they will spend their spare time here trying
to help others. Sometimes they also get frustrated and give answers like
'it is in the source, go find it'. Sometimes they get hurt by unthoughtful
comments and have no motivation to help any further. Sometimes they just
feel happy to help fellow users and share their wisdom. And also, sometimes
they expect that their answers also should be answered promptly..

(*) I don't try to say that any of you belong to this group. This is
merely comment to the 'one problem with opensource' post.

> > non-programmer. I cannot figure out which 2.6 kernel options are needed
> > to fully exploit the card or what the configuration files should look
> > like. I have tried many of the examples posted, but without success.

I'm using 2.4, but if I recall correctly, spdif worked also with 2.6

Tommi