Hi,
I'm trying to use my Roland/Edirol UA-100 under Fedora Core 4 with ALSA
1.0.10. I'm having the same problems that were posted to this list by
another user a few weeks ago (title: "No sound with Roland UA-100").
Here is what happens:
1) The kernel correctly detects the sound card and loads the
snd-usb-audio module.
2) Files into /proc/asound/card1/ show the presence of a capture device
with 2 channels and a playback device with 4 channels. I think this is
because the UA-100 has two pairs of stereo channels that map to the same
physical output ports, so ALSA maps it as a single device with 4
channels.
3) If I try to play a stereo file on the "regular" device "hw:1" I get
the error message "channels count not available."
4) Using "plughw:1" instead of "hw:1" I don't get the error message, but
the player just hangs indefinitely until I kill it. It looks like the
sound card is not "consuming" the data in the audio buffer provided by
the player.
5) The MIDI interface works fine.

Can anybody help?
Thank you!