On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:19:07 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Of course it can load that way. That is modules are. The problem is that
> modules are so intimatley connected with the kernel that a module for
> kernel A in general does not have the right entry points for Kernel B.
>
> This is the price of high performance that one wants from kernel space
> drivers.

Indeed this is THE problem, and I call it lack of ABI definition.

Regarding speed - I do not think there should be a significant penalty.

It's all about predefined jump table entries and data structures to
pass data to/from driver - I hardly see an overhead here.