On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Enrico Marocco wrote:

Salman Abdul Baset wrote:
I don't actually understand how knowing *its own* provisioned link
capacity could help a peer in selecting a good voice relay or conference
node. I agree that it could be useful for the application itself, e.g.
to select a default codec, but to me that's just not peer selection
optimization, i.e. not ALTO.

For relaying, provisioned link capacity (specifically, upstream link
capacity) is helpful to determine how many voice or video streams a relay
can admit.

Again, I agree that it could be useful for the application itself, for
example, as you say, for deciding how many streams to relay. But that
has little to do with peer selection optimization ALTO is all about, so
I still don't see how it could be considered in scope for this WG.

Nodes (clients) can use the spare capacity (provisioned - current load) of relay candidates as a metric to guide their search of relays. I think such a usage is peer selection optimization. What do you think?

-s