Well, DSL providers use dynamic spectrum management tools to adjust the
bitrate/FEC on the DSL line. So, things (may) change over time. The DSL modem
is aware of these provisioning changes, but all that stays in the link layer. I
am not sure how you can get that from the app layer. Note that in newer DSL
specs like ADSL2+, there is also seamless bitrate adaptation where the bitrate
of the link will change based on the SNR.

As you indicated, people use measurement techniques to figure out the link
speed, etc.

-acbegen