On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Enrico Marocco wrote:
Examples of applications that can make use of provisioned link capacity:
-voice relaying
-p2p video and audio conferencing

I don't actually understand how knowing *its own* provisioned link
capacity could help a peer in selecting a good voice relay or conference
node. I agree that it could be useful for the application itself, e.g.
to select a default codec, but to me that's just not peer selection
optimization, i.e. not ALTO.

For relaying, provisioned link capacity (specifically, upstream link capacity) is helpful to determine how many voice or video streams a relay can admit.

Obviously, a relay may use a fraction (e.g., 50%) of provisioned upstream capacity to determine the number of streams to admit. In addition, a relay also needs to consider the current load on the link. Spare capacity, computed from provisioned capacity and current load, is a metric that can effectively guide relay selection.

-s