Hello.  I need to recover a single file that is archived, so I was
attempting to use amrecover because of it's convenient interactive
mode.  However, when I run the command
/usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover -s amandaserver.mydomain.com
I get
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.1p1. Contacting server on
amandaserver.mydomain.com ...
amrecover: Unexpected server end of file.

I have already read the Amanda FAQ-O-Matic with regards to this error,
and I am pretty certain that it is not a DNS issue.

Here is  the output of the .amandahosts file from the amanda server.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
root@myhost
myhost.mydomain.com
myhost
10.1.1.17
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have made sure to run amrecover as root on my box (the client).

Since I have read quite a few of the archives on this list, I will also
include the contents of the /tmp/amanda/amrecover.debug file.

amrecover: debug 1 pid 7675 ruid 0 euid 0 start time Wed Jan 10 15:38:30
2001

Also, here is my entry in inetd.conf that is pertinent.

amandaidx stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/local/amanda/libexec amindexd
amidxtape stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/local/amanda/libexec amidxtaped

And, just for good measure,  some content of /var/log/messages which
corresponds to the time and attempts  to connect to the server.

Jan 10 14:47:28 amandaserver inetd[24130]: pid 26849: exit status 1
Jan 10 14:48:35 amandaserver inetd[24130]: pid 26856: exit status 1
Jan 10 14:51:11 amandaserver inetd[24130]: pid 26872: exit status 1
Jan 10 14:51:34 amandaserver inetd[24130]: pid 26873: exit status 1

This is obviously showing some type of inetd issue, but I am at a loss
to determine what it is.  I also ran tcpdump while attempting to
connect, analyzed the output,  and found it to be most unhelpful.

I sincerely appreciate any help that can be offered.

Eric Helms