> Looking back over them, there's one thing I see missing.  What happens if
> you try to back up a local disk on backup?  I.e. remove the NT share
> entries in the disklist, but put somethink like 'backup /etc user-tar'.
> This will narrow it down to being either a samba issue or an amanda client
> issue.

The machine could back itself up just fine, though after careful checking, I
think I've found the problem! For some reason, when I changed the disklist
entry to 'localhost' instead of 'backup' it went through w/out complaint.
This could not be a DNS issue because it's running a local bind.. why would
this problem manifest itself like that??

> No, you don't have to mount the share first.  But, according to some quick
> experiments I just did here, you can *not* back up a subdirectory of a
> share.  You *must* back up the share itself.  If all you want is
> /sys/users, you'll need to share that directory explicitly.  But, again,
> this isn't the main problem, b/c you're not even getting that far.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm sharing directories explicitly and
about to run my first for-real amdump.

Kindest regards,
 Michael Blinn