On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

As suggested we have fixed our .amandahosts file to reflect the fully
qualified hostname.  Now I get the following:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [could not access /dev/rd/c0d0p7
(/dev/rd/c0d0p7): Permission denied]
ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [could not access /dev/rd/c0d0p2
(/dev/rd/c0d0p2): Permission denied]
ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [could not access /dev/rd/c0d0p6
(/dev/rd/c0d0p6): Permission denied]
ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [could not access /dev/rd/c0d0p1
(/dev/rd/c0d0p1): Permission denied]
ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [could not access /dev/rd/c0d0p5
(/dev/rd/c0d0p5): Permission denied]
ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [can not read/write /etc/dumpdates:
Permission denied]
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.019 seconds, 6 problems found

This is my first attempt at installing Amanda, so I am unsure of what this
means.  Who 's permissions are denied?  The amandauser has access to the
devices in question, the program was built with proper (I think)
configuration, the amcheck script has the following permissions:
-rwsr-x---      1 root  amandauser

There are two of us here who are a little lost.

Thanks for the previous help.

--charlie

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 at 5:08pm, Charles Farinella wrote
>
> > ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [access as amandauser not allowed from
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]] amandahostsauth failed
> >
> > I have created a .amandahosts file with the following entry:
> > localhost.localdomain       amandauser
> >
> You've got some DNS oddness going on.  The canonical answer is to always
> use fully qualified hostnames with AMANDA -- don't use localhost.  It
> *will* eventually bite you.
>
> Also, make sure that your .amandahosts file is in the right place (the
> $HOME of amandauser) and is readable by amandauser (duh).

Charles Farinella                       Appropriate Solutions, Inc.
www.AppropriateSolutions.com            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
603.924.6079(v)                         603.924.8668(f)