On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 at 9:43am, Charles Farinella wrote

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [could not access /dev/rd/c0d0p7
> (/dev/rd/c0d0p7): Permission denied]
*snip*
> ERROR: localhost.localdomain: [can not read/write /etc/dumpdates:
> Permission denied]
> Client check: 1 host checked in 0.019 seconds, 6 problems found
>
> This is my first attempt at installing Amanda, so I am unsure of what this
> means.  Who 's permissions are denied?  The amandauser has access to the
> devices in question, the program was built with proper (I think)
> configuration, the amcheck script has the following permissions:
> -rwsr-x---    1 root  amandauser

First off, you may want to consider using directory names rather than raw
disk partitions -- I've found it awfully useful when, e.g., a disk dies
and I have to move a filesystem to a new disk/partition.  When using
directory names, the history stays intact.

Regardless, what *are* the owner/group and permissions on those partitions
(the raw devices)?  Are you trying to use dump or tar for your backups?
BTW, what OS?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering