On Mon, 20 May 2002 at 9:26am, Brian Jonnes wrote

> What are the current feelings of the group re the following? Should I switch
> to TAR?

*Careful* -- this one can erupt quickly!  The canonical answer is use what
works in your testing and what makes you comfortable.  Some people have
noticed that the combination of certain versions of dump combined with the
2.4 kernel series leads to random, frequent data timeouts.  Those that
switched to tar saw that problem go away.  It may be better with current
versions of dump -- I wouldn't know, though.

So, again, do some testing, see what works, and use that.  Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering