Hi all,

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, as I'm sure has been mentioned
before on this list, amanda is a backup management tool - not a
backup utility in itself.

What is needed for Windows is a high quality backup utility
(preferably Open Source and free, but not mandatory) that can stream
it's data through the pipe that amanda provides back to the backup
server. Unfortunately, backup utilities on Windows tend to be
expensive monolithic entities that don't provide that flexibility,
or if they do then the stream format islikely to be proprietary,
making indexing impossible for amanda.

Hence people use samba (so that they can use Unix backup utils from
a Unix box) or gnu tar running in a Unix environment on the Windows
box (UWin or Cygwin).

I imagine porting the Amanda client to Windows is possible, but that
will only provide a local end for the pipe. You will still need a
reliable and Windows compatible backup/restore utility. Given that
even the commercial Windows backup utilities rarely get it 100%
right, I suspect that this is not an easy ask.

Regards.
Ross Johnson (a very happy amanda user - thanks)

--
| Ross Johnson            |   | "Come down off the cross
| Management & Technology |___|  We can use the wood" - Tom Waits
| Building 11                 |
| University of Canberra      | eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| ACT    2601                 | WWW:
http://public.ise.canberra.edu.au/~rpj/
| AUSTRALIA                   |