> I don't think Amanda is telling you that the level 0 won't fit on the
> holding disk.  It is telling you that it won't fit on the tape.

        no, in that case it usually gives the 'dumps too big for tape' error
message.

> If you want to have Amanda backup more than will fit on the tape and leave
> the rest for a manual flush, as you describe, you could try a tapetype that
> claims the tape is much larger than it actually is.

        I already turned my supposed tape length up 10GB larger than the
actual tape; and some of these partitions that are failing, only have 500MB
of data.

> The other option is the manual changer configuration.  I haven't used this,
> but my understanding is that you tell Amanda that you have 2 (or more
> tapes), and that manual intervention is required to go to subsequent tapes.
> Amanda will fill the first tape for you overnight, and in the morning you
> change tapes, tell Amanda, and it will use the second tape.  No need for a
> manual flush in this scenario.

the faq-o-matic seems to indicate that the chg-manual configuration only
works when started interactively (so you have a console with which to send a
signal to amanda that there's a new tape in the drive). I know there's ways
to delay backups (I use them for some machines already), so even if I
started backups at 6pm, machines could be delayed until the early morning;
but I don't trust myself or the tape monkey to remember (or be available) to
start a backup every night.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator