--On February 8, 2007 3:26:40 PM -0800 A R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi All,

I have been tasked with updating my company's aging backup equipment. I
am planning on purchasing a new server to run amanda along with a new
robotic tape library with two LTO-3 drives.  I just want to make sure
that the hardware I have selected will work with amanda and the Linux
distribution that I have selected for this project.  I have about 10 TB
of data to back up weekly.  Here is what I have in mind:

Server:
OS: Debian Linux
2U - 6 SATA HD slots
Pentium dual core processor (anyone have trouble with dual core?)
2GB RAM (too much? to little?)
2TB of HD spooling space, RAID0 w/four 500GB drives
120GB of operating system space on RAID1 with two 120GB drives
LSI Logic LSI22320 Ultra320 SCSI Dual Channel PCIx card

Loader:
Overland ARCvault24 w/ two LTO-3 tape drives

I can't recommend LSI Logic SCSI cards. The drivers in atleast 2.6 Linux are pretty ugly. Lack error recovery requiring you to power down the machine if the card encounters a serious error (no, rmmod/modprobe is not enough I found out).

After having lots of issues with an LSI card replaced it with an Adaptec, very happy since. I can't recommend Adaptec's RAID cards though. Especially not the bastardizations they made out of the ICP Vortex cards (now ICP* models, not the older GDT* models).

AMANDA can use almost any changer, using chg-zd-mtx or chg-scsi. I use chg-zd-mtx which is basically a set of wrappers around mt and mtx -- mtx speaks the normal, standard SCSI changer protocol and I've actually yet to find a SCSI changer that you can't atleast do basic load, unload, and transfer operations with mtx. This includes weird beasts like SCSI CD-ROM changers.

And I don't believe with those SATA drives you'll be able to run the library even with one tape drive at full speed. LTO-3 peaks out at 80mbyte/sec....I see 60mbyte/sec routinely in production, currently my tape host can't keep up with that. SATA drives stream pretty well but AMANDA's spool area access resembles random I/O not really streaming I/O and it's really hard to keep tape drives fed at that rate. 10K rpm spindles might be able to even on SATA

I guess the main questions I'm trying to figure out are... Is this server
appropriate for the task at hand and is the tape equipment that I have
selected compatible with amanda?  I tried calling Overland, but
apparently they have never tested Amanda against the ARCvault, but it
clearly works with the Powerloader without trouble.  I see no mention of
the ARCvault anywhere on this group, so I figured I'd ask and see if
anyone out there has had any experience with that particular loader.

Thank you very much for your time.

~Andy

Looking for earth-friendly autos?

into trouble of all kinds."