On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 at 3:22pm, Michael Loftis wrote

And I don't believe with those SATA drives you'll be able to run the library even with one tape drive at full speed. LTO-3 peaks out at 80mbyte/sec....I see 60mbyte/sec routinely in production, currently my tape host can't keep up with that. SATA drives stream pretty well but AMANDA's spool area access resembles random I/O not really streaming I/O and it's really hard to keep tape drives fed at that rate. 10K rpm spindles might be able to even on SATA

The first server I had my Neo2K library on had 4 7200 RPM SATA drives in a RAID0, and it could easily keep up with 1 amdump run to an LTO3 drive (I saw 60-70MB/s to the tape). I didn't get a 2 channel card until after I'd upgraded the server, so i don't know how well 4 spindles could've dealt w/ 2 simultaneous amdumps.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering