Greets, Jon ;)

Jon LaBadie schrieb:

> Brainstorming:
>
> what are vmware's scripting capabilities?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/Scripting_API_215.pdf

;)

> is there a distinction between dumping an image of a current vm
> versus creating an installable vm from an existing vm?

errm, I am not sure if I fully understand.
Could you explain in more detail or other words?

> for your needs is the distinction important?
>
> can vmware be scripted to start and stop on demand?

Yep.

# vmware-cmd <path-to-my.vmx> start

# vmware-cmd <path-to-my.vmx> stop

Even "suspend" would work, if the guest OS behaves accordingly.

> can it be scripted to dump either type of image above?
> does it need to be running or stopped for either?

> if it is already running, how do you know it is safe
> to stop it?

The VMs here are inactive during the night because the users leave
office at the evening. That is somehow defined.

At least for most of the VMs so we can assume this as a basic assumption
for the given task.

Stefan