Unless you're coordinating with the OS, then taking a VMware snapshot
and copying it is equivalent to pulling the power plug on a server.
Will it power back up without corruption?  99.9% of the time, yes.  Has
anyone who has been in the biz for a while had a scenario where
powercycling a box caused a corrupted OS disk?  I'd say so.

The SAFE thing to do is to make sure that no app is writing to the
filesystem while you're snapping it.  IMHO, Oracle/Exchange/SQL Server
should not be running or in backup mode if you're going to make a
snapshot at the virtual console level.  Powering the system down
obviously meets that requirement.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies