Hi, all,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 01:27:11PM -0500, Curtis Preston wrote:
> Unless you're coordinating with the OS, then taking a VMware snapshot
> and copying it is equivalent to pulling the power plug on a server.
> Will it power back up without corruption?  99.9% of the time, yes.  Has
> anyone who has been in the biz for a while had a scenario where
> powercycling a box caused a corrupted OS disk?  I'd say so.
>
> The SAFE thing to do is to make sure that no app is writing to the
> filesystem while you're snapping it.  IMHO, Oracle/Exchange/SQL Server
> should not be running or in backup mode if you're going to make a
> snapshot at the virtual console level.  Powering the system down
> obviously meets that requirement.

100% agreed. Unfortunately VMware doesn't allow to take snapshots
of powered off virtual machines. I'd really like to see that
as a means to minimize downtime:

shutdown
take snapshot
boot

(downtime less than 5 minutes)

now take all the time you need to copy/backup snapshot while
your virtual server ist already back at your service

Does anyone know the reason why you cannot snapshot powered off
machines?

Kind regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Vorholzstr. 25 * 76137 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100