That's not obvious enough for me.  Stepping outside the VMware world for
a moment, what the user is proposing is totally normal.  We do it in the
virtualized storage world all the time.  Stop the app, snap the image,
start the app, then back it up.  I don't want to leave the app down the
entire time I'm backing up.

A powered off machine does have a state.  RAM is empty and the drives
are static.  They could snapshot that.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies