On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 02:56:28PM -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Brian Cuttler <br...@wadsworth.org> wrote:
> > Virtual DLEs !?!
> >
> > That is EXACTLY what we need !
> >
> > I know you warned us, but I'm REALLY Excited about this !
> >
> > That would _so_ fix my Terrabyte sized DLE problem...
>
> Yes, yes it would.  It would fix a lot of problems!
>
> I don't think it's the right solution to the problem, though.  It
> takes as fundamental Amanda's funny notion of DLEs and exclusion
> lists, and tries to build a working system around that.  If it could
> work in a way that makes any sense to the user, I might be convinced,
> but as it stands there are some *very* significant unanswered
> questions, and probably a lot of more subtle problems, too.

I can imagine another way to use vDLEs.  I'm thinking of having them
apply during amrecover runs.  Suppose you have a filesystem that you
backup as multiple DLEs using the include/exclude facilities.  Or a
set of DLEs that comprise a single system.  If you could group them
under a single vDLE, then you could run amrecover using the vDLE
rather than having to run multiple amrecovers.

I suppose something like this would be possible changing how the
dumps are created.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  j...@jgcomp.com