<quote who="Dustin J. Mitchell">
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Lisa Seelye <l...@thedoh.com> wrote:
>
>> Disk permissions and file permissions are always a nightmare. Some
>> things aren't right and amcheck complains about each one in turn. It
>> would be useful to have some kind of thorough "lint" mode, perhaps with
>> a --fix-permissions to repair the permissions (when run with root).
>>

> Ideally amcheck would be finding all of the permissions problems on
> the first run - although sometimes one permission problem can make it
> impossible to find the next.  Is there some specific condition that you're
> seeing appear only on the second run?
>
> As for adding a --fix-permissions option is an interesting idea, but I
> worry that it would blindly 'mkdir' and 'chown' and 'chmod' things that you
> might not want it to.  Note that many missing directories are created at
> first run.  If some of those are missing, we could fix that up.
>
> Do you have a particular example you'd like me to look at?

When I first configured Amanda on my Gentoo servers some time ago I ran
into the problem where several installed files were not correctly owned or
had improper permissions. I would correct one, perhaps in
/var/spool/amanda and re-run amcheck and another fault would come up.

While this may be the fault of the .ebuild author having not correctly set
the permissions my memory is that configuring the permissions and
ownerships correctly was a big pain. An included tool to check all
required files/directories in one pass (instead of bailing at the first
error) would be very useful.

--
Regards,
-Lisa