Am 29.01.2014 15:13, schrieb Michael Müskens:

> So far running amanda-2.6.1 I used to autorestore via
>
> amrestore -p tobak012.intern.backup.muessi.de  |tar [option]  - ./
>
> which is rather fine in running automatically, unattended and with no need of
> an amanda-Database.
> As I understand, amrestore so far only has been a wrapper for dd if=<file>
> bs=32k skip=1?
> Why has this simple functionality been changed?
>
> No offense, just wondering :)

I just tested this at the customer and we also had to do that
dd/tar-piping ... why is amanda able to untar gzip-packed stuff
correctly (is it still?) and does not do the same for pigz-packed stuff
(which is also gzip-format afaik)?

call it a feature request ;-)

IMO it should not be necessary to use plain dd etc in case of a restore.
As a fallback possibility, yes, but not in the normal use of the backup
suite, especially not when in a hurry and/or panic because of some
server crash ...

opinions welcome, Stefan