Does this involve mixing the type of  authentication:   BSD,   BSDTCP,  KRB5,
(do other types exist? )
Are your Linux systems all using the same type of authentication?   What does a
Windows client have to use?

I’m having similar problems when my Linux nodes are down, because some of them
are using different
types of authentication from the older nodes.    I don’t know if the problem
would go away if all nodes
were at modern BSDTCP or KRB5 ,  but right now,  my older BSD-only nodes choke
if a newer node
is offline.

I too went to 3.3.6 and found no relief.    I’ve gotten sidetracked from trying
to fix the code myself.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab