Amanda 3.5 can do everything you want only by running the amdump command.

Using an holding disk:

  * You configure two storages
  * All dumps go to the holding disk
  * All dumps are copied to each storages, not necessarily at the same
    time or in the same run.
  * The dumps stay in holding until they are copied to both storages
  * You can tell amanda that everything must go to both storage or only
    some dle full/incr

Without holding disk

  * You configure one storage telling it to automatically vault its
    dumps to the vault-storage
  * You configure one vault-storage
  * All dumps are dumped to the storage then vaulted to the vault-storage
  * The vault operation can be done later in the same run or in a
    different run.
  * All dumps must go to the storage, but you can vault only some dles
    full/incr

Don't forget to set a different tapepool for each storage.

On 04/10/17 10:17 AM, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> We are in the process of adding vaulting to our existing Amanda
> environment, and I am curious to hear/see how other sites have
> approached this.
>
> In particular, I'm curious what policies you have adopted for what gets
> vaulted, and how exactly you have scripted the vaulting so that you are
> sure the correct dumps always get copied the correct number of times,
> etc.
>
> In our situation, our nightly backups are to vtapes on a large internal
> drive, and our plan is to then vault to separate vtapes on external USB
> drives that are rotated physically each business day. So I think we
> don't want to use "vault-storage", since we want to let the nightly
> dumps proceeded without concern for whether the next USB drive is
> available yet.
You want vault-storage, if the next USB drive is not available, then
nothing will be vaulted but amanda remember what must be vaulted and
they will be vaulted on the next amdump.
> But what isn't clear is the best way to code a cron job
> to run later in the day, so that it keeps track of which of the nightly
> dumps have already been vaulted v.s. the ones that still need to be.
Amanda remember them, you have nothing to do.

Amanda lack a command to do: vault what is scheduled to be vaulted.
You could try 'amdump CONF badhost'
Since a host that match none of your host is specified, amdump will dump
nothing, and I think the flush/vault operation will be done
It must be verified and tested.
If you do not want to set vault-storage during the normal amdump, you
can try the following command to do the vault:
   amdump CONF badhost -ovault-storage=MY-VAULT

Jean-Louis
This message is the property of CARBONITE, INC. and may contain confidential or
privileged information.
If this message has been delivered to you by mistake, then do not copy or
deliver this message to anyone.  Instead, destroy it and notify me by reply
e-mail