On 19/10/17 08:48 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
On 2017-10-18 15:45, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Am 2017-10-16 um 20:47 schrieb Austin S. Hemmelgarn:

While it's not official documentation, I've got a working configuration with Amanda 3.5.0 on my personal systems, using locally accessible storage for primary backups, and S3 for vaulting (though I vault everything, the local storage is for getting old files back, S3 is for disaster recovery). I've put a copy of the relevant config fragment at the end of this reply, with various private data replaced, and some bits that aren't really relevant
(like labeling options) elided.

A quick thank you at this point:

thanks for providing this config plus explanations, I will try to set up
a similar config soon and take your example as a template.

And maybe come back with some additional questions ;-)

for example: what do you run as cronjobs, what do you do via manual
commands? amdump in cron, amvault now and then?
Well, there's two options for how to handle it.

Where I work, we use a very similar configuration to what I posted, and run amdump and amvault independently, both through cron (though we only vault full backups to S3 since we have a reasonably good level of trust in the reliability of our local storage). This gives very good control of exactly what and exactly when things get vaulted, and allows for scheduling vaulting separately from dumps (we prefer to only copy things out to S3 once a month and need to make sure the network isn't bogged down with backups during work hours, so this is a big plus for us).
The problem with the amvault command is that it do only according to the command line, which can be difficult to get right. If amvault fail, it's hard to find the correct arguments to vault what was not yet vaulted. With wrong arguments, some dump might never be vaulted, or some dumps might be vaulted multiple time (on different amvault invocation).

Since you want to vault all full, I would set 'vault' in the local storage, set 'dump-selection' in the cloud storage, but will not set 'vault-storage' That way the vault are scheduled but are not executed because vault-storage is not set. Amanda know they must be vaulted.
Every month, you can run: amdump CONF BADHOST -ovault-storage="cloud"
to do the vaulting.

On my home systems, I also use a similar config, but I instead have a 'vault' option specified in the 'local' storage block that points to the 'cloud' and says to vault immediately after dump generation(so the line is 'vault cloud 0'). With this setup, amdump will run the vaulting operation itself after finishing everything else for the dump (and you actually don't need the 'vault-storage' line at the end I think), and you either end up vaulting everything, or have to limit things through the config with a 'dump-selection' line in your 'cloud' storage definition.
vault-storage is required, otherwise the vault are not executed.

Jean-Louis
This message is the property of CARBONITE, INC. and may contain confidential or
privileged information.
If this message has been delivered to you by mistake, then do not copy or
deliver this message to anyone.  Instead, destroy it and notify me by reply
e-mail