Hi Jean- François,

From: "Jean-Francois Malouin" <jean-francois.malo...@bic.mni.mcgill.ca>
To: "amanda-users" <amanda-users@amanda.org>
Cc: "Chris Miller" <c...@tryx.org>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:18:16 PM
Subject: Re: Taper scan algorithm did not find an acceptable volume.

BQ_BEGIN
Read 'man amanda-taperscan' for the details.
BQ_END

This was very helpful.

BQ_BEGIN
You can check which 'tapes' amanda expects for the next run with the command
'amadmin <CONFIG> tape', running it as the amanda user.
BQ_END

I am told "The next Amanda should go onto 1 new tape.", so I assume that this
is an estimate of tape demands for immediate planning purposes. In my case, I
am configured for vtapes of 2TB, so this is not telling me anything I don't
already know. But...

BQ_BEGIN
Also, 'amtape <CONFIG> inventory' will tell you what amanda is aware of.
This info is based on the cached meta-info for the changers, and might
not be accurate (stale). 'amtape <CONFIG> update' will force a rescan
of the (virtual) changer.
BQ_END

"amtape <CONFIG> update" tells me:"ERROR: 'chg-disk' does not support update",
which I guess does not surprise me. "amtape <CONFIG> inventory" tells me:

slot 0: label <CONFIG>.0 (current) [other config]
slot 1: label <CONFIG>.1 [other config]
:
slot 21: label <CONFIG>.21 [other config]

So, my problem is that AMANDA does not want to advance. Let me explain. Last
week I did a first backup for three clients, and AMANDA interpreted that as
three level 0 dumps, two of which were written to vtape. The third is still
"stuck" on the holding disk. So that is my first mystery. Why did this not
complete and what can I do about it? Subsequently, I requested a second backup
of all three clients, which AMANDA interpreted as three level 1 dumps. To
nobody's surprise, none of these has been written to vtape and they all remain
on the holding disk. And that is my second mystery. Why is "slot1" not a valid
tape for any of these and what can I do about it?

Thanks for the help, Jean- François.
--
Chris.

V:916.974.0424