> On Nov 20, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Chris Miller <c...@tryx.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Jon,

When installing a new tape drive or tape library  (physical tapes, for me)
I read ~18 years ago  (can’t find where, anymore)   that I should exercise the
tape commands manually first.   Then attempt to get amanda to use them.

To whit:
amtape <config> slot 1
amtape config slot 2
amtape config slot 15   (jump around)
amtape config slot next
amtape config slot first   (either 0 or 1,  or whatever the first slot it’s
been allowed)
amtape config slot last     (the last slot)

I pre-label all my tapes, so I was able to do the above commands,  and see
succcess
before proceeding to amanda commands.   Dunno if it will mount an unlabeled
vtape?
But you need to have the above working first.

It couldn’t *hurt*  to prelabel all your vtapes,  but I know you don’t want to.
 That may be
why it’s failing???    I’ve never ventured into “unlabeled tape”  territory.
Others?

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab