On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 09:54:34 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> With the usr merge, and I'm reading its not just debian but RH too, /bin
> becomes a link to usr/bin, and likewise /sbin becomes a link to
> usr/sbin. And /bib becomes a link to /usr/lib...
>
> But thats going to trigger on /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, preventing the
> backup of both subdirs.  Thats not good.  How do I fix that? Do I name
> the full path in 3 more dle's? I'll try that. But that will also screw
> up a bare metal recovery. So we need to come up with a better method.
> We need to backup the link, but without following it. ???? Ideas ????  I
> need another gallon of coffee... Or more sleep.

I am not sure what you are asking...

Tar already backs up symlinks (e.g. "/bin") without following them. When
you do bare metal recovery, restoration will give you all your files in
/usr/bin/, and a /bin symlink pointing to /usr/bin, just like you had at
the time the backup was made.

What do you mean when you say "that's going to trigger on"?  /usr/bin/
is a directory just like it always has been (though with some additional
files now, i.e. the ones that used to live in /bin/ ), and will be
backed up normally as part of the dump of the filesystem that contains
it.... (And similarly for other subdirs of /usr/ .)

(In picnc's case, presumably all your /usr/.../ subdirs are on the / filesystem
[since I don't see a separate /usr mount point listed] .)

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239