This is a shorter request for clarification (see previous longer post for
details) about our attempt to replace our pure sendmail with DNSBL
filtering policy with one based on sendmail 8.13.1, amavisd-new-2.1.2 in
the "milter" configuration and spamassassin (spamd ??) 3.0.4

What we want to achieve is that : filtering is all performed on one of our
"entrance" MX machines; spam is quarantined (not tagged and not delivered
to recipient) ; spam generates an explanatory reject error (to inform
generators of false positives) ; the other messages are forwarded to the
user workstations (NO centralized delivery) ; we exploit the spamassassin
auto-learning and auto-whitelisting capabilities.

Now my first question (which I did not ask yesterday) is more of
architectural nature :

QUESTION 0) is spamd necessary ?

  In our present configuration we start (in the order) : spamd,
  amavisd-new with its milter, sendmail.

  I thought the milter will act as an intermediate layer between
  sendmail and amavisd-new and the latter was talking with spamd

  but now I have the doubt that it calls spamassassin modules
  directly without need of spamd

  Shall we run spamd or not ?

Having realized that the default milter coming with amavisd-new does not
perform full spamassassin header editing, we remain with the more radical
doubt

QUESTION 5) bayes autolearn and autowhitelist

  Are these spamassassin features working in milter configuration, or
  are they forbidden ? In latter case is there a workaround ?

The above question is quite relevant. We thought to "train" the bayes
filter with a collection of old spam (we plan to do it next week), but if
it does not autolearn, is there any sense with it ?

I also have a curiosity question

QUESTION 3) Hits: - in syslog

We see in the mail log some "amavis Passed CLEAN" entries which have a
non-numeric spamassassin score (Hits: -).

Is this related to $sa_timeout ? Should we raise this timeout to a value
higher than default ? Will it be honoured in milter configuration ?

Many thanks for any hint.