Marco wrote:

> Jul 13 16:36:15 virgilio amavis[18179]: Creating db in
> /var/spool/amavisd/db/; BerkeleyDB 0.26, libdb 4.3
> Jul 13 16:36:16 virgilio amavis[18179]: SpamControl: initializing
> Mail::SpamAssassin
> Jul 13 16:36:17 virgilio amavis[18179]: SpamControl: init_pre_fork done

The next two lines I get when I do this are related to BerkeleyDB.
Try setting:

$enable_db = 0;

Are you running amavisd-new chrooted? If so, comment out
$daemon_chroot_dir and try again. Other than that, I didn't see
anything in particular that gave any more clues. You said earlier
that if you disable spam checks amavisd-new will run. In that case,
keep spam checks enabled, and see what 'amavisd debug-sa' produces.