Michael,

> > It is the IO::Wrap that is no longer used by amavisd
> > (as documemnted in the release notes).
>
> I'll have to look,
> Had this (I didn't put it there, original author did)
>
>     ${SITE_PERL}/IO/Wrap.pm:${PORTSDIR}/devel/p5-IO-stringy \
>
> Which looked for Wrap.pm, and if not there, loaded IO-stringy perl module.

This is probably wrong, the IO::Wrap and IO::Stringy don't have
any interdependencies as far as I can tell. It was probably
meant (but misspelled) as a list of both, i.e. both modules
were needed by amavisd, IO::Wrap directly, and IO::Stringy
indirectly through some other module which forgot to specify
a dependency on IO::Stringy.

A brief search indicates that MIME::Parser (mail/p5-MIME-Tools)
needs IO::ScalarArray, which is a member of the IO::Stringy.

Seems the line:
  ${SITE_PERL}/IO/Wrap.pm:${PORTSDIR}/devel/p5-IO-stringy
comes from mail/p5-MIME-Tools/Makefile, so as long as amavisd
specifies a dependency on p5-MIME-Tools, the above line
need not be duplicated in its Makefile.

> I emailed maintainer and asked him to hold off, I wanted to activate
> amavisd reload in rc.subr file
> (right now, /usr/local/etc/rc.d/amavisd reload doesn't do anything)
>
> At least, 'amavisd reload' vs amavisd stop/ amavisd start (restart),
> amavisd reload does a lint and won't stop amavisd if there are config
> issues.

Btw, I think one soft link is missing.
The amavisd-release can have two additional aliases (soft or hard links),
the amavisd-requeue and amavisd-report. Seems like the port does
make a amavisd-requeue soft link, but not a newer amavisd-report.

release notes:

  * enhancing the 'amavisd-release' utility program to allow sending an
    attribute 'request=release' or 'request=requeue' or 'request=report'
    based on its program name. By making a soft or hard link named
    'amavisd-report' linking to 'amavisd-release', the utility will
    send a 'request=report' in place of the usual 'request=release',
    e.g.:
      # ln -s amavisd-release amavisd-report
      # ln -s amavisd-release amavisd-requeue
      $ amavisd-report spam/k/kg2P0rP9Lpu3.gz '' ab...@example.com