Hello Peter,

Thank you. I hadn't considered semiconductor relays but will do so
now. Whilst the 2560 does have the extra UARTs, part of the appeal of
the 1284p is that it is still available in a DIP package. For a DAC I
was thinking of an MCP4801/4011/4821 (or the dual 4802) which would
give the option of 8, 10 or 12 bit for the same footprint.

Do you have any views on UART RF modules? I have had success with
AmForth over RF before but unfortunately the company that made the
modules is no longer in that business. Consequently I am looking for a
replacement module for the 1284p board, ideally one with hardware
encryption (as the old one did).

Tristan