Hi Mark,

>1. Survivorship bias;
>A lot of dips just dip down to 0, especially around 2001-2003.

This is indeed a problem which I couldn't come up with a solution.
Though I don't hold for a long period of time, it's possible some
declined sharply and I wouldn't know about it.

>2. Position sizing pitfalls

This is a difficult issue.  I set it to 0% (no limit) deliberately
because if I set to some limit, once my equity becomes so big it
wasn't hurting my overall CAR despite making bad trades toward the end
of backtested period.  (Imagine you constantly lose 100% of 0.001% of
your equity...you still end up with 99% of your equity despite making
series of terrible trades.)

>3. Test period consideration

This one is also hard to assess.  I used to backtest against 1996-2006
data, that's 10 years.  The problem was...NASDAQ experienced
historical growth between 1996-2000, so it wouldn't take a genius to
design a system that works during that span.

I have a feeling we are better off backtesting against a down market
to truely assess your system though.

Lots of work to do on my part to come up with a system that keeps on
working, but thank you for your advice.

intermilan04

--- In amibroker@yahoogroups.com, "Mark H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> intermilan04:
>
> Here are some possibilities:
>
> 1. Survivorship bias;
> A lot of dips just dip down to 0, especially around 2001-2003.
>
> 2. Position sizing pitfalls:
> If you position size is big compared to the daily volume, you will
not be able to get the open price in real trading as in historical
testing since you moving in/out of the market would affect the price
itself. Limit to 0.5% of EMA(V,50). Don't use percentage of bar volume
since you can not follow that in real trading. Also use volume and
price filter to avoid illiquid stocks.

> 3. Test period consideration:
> If the test period is too long, the capital would become too big to
be realistic. Try to test year by year, this will give you a feel of
CAR, though you may not get the real MDD if you do so.

> 4. Over-optimization:
> Make sure the system is based on sound market observation and real
possibility. Limit number of variables to below 5. Make the portfolio
size sufficiently big.

> Hope this helps a bit,
>
> - Mark H.

SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com