Hello o' Great Ones!

My name is Dino and I live in Southern CA. I have always wanted to get into AM radio after hearing the stories about all you famous (infamous?) operators out here. I have listened on air and to a few sound bites off the Internet.

As a start, I signed up here to learn about the sport but have found the conversations lacking in the "beginner topics". I have specific questions...

What radios are recommended? My limited experience tells me that current production models really lack any AM prowess. I have heard that the FT-100D can be tweaked...but I like TUBES! 500 watts of CLEAN AM power would float my boat!

What antennas are recommended?  Wire?  Loaded verticals?

Is the Globe King really THAT expensive?!  Is it worth it?

Is there a publication dedicated to AM radio?

While the fraternity could certainly use more members, I don't know if you should pick me. My goal is to BUILD an AM transmitter of about 350 to 500 watts with a tube modulation circuit and final. That's later though! In the mean time, what can I get or what do you recommend for a novice?

Thanks for your time...you are a class group!

Dino...K6RIX