> > > 3000VDC @ 300mA = 10,000 ohms. (This is where the transmitter lives
> > > according to the notes I have on it)
> >

> >perhaps thats what it's capable of, but you're not going to run it there
> >are ya?
>
> That's what the first high power homebrew rig I remember ever actually
> seeing ran - an old fellow in Kentucky.  He used a pair of 100TH's in the
> final, modulated with a pair of triode connected 813's and a homebrew
> modulation transformer.  His audio sounded like a tin can, but did he strap!
>
> His rig inspired me to build a single 304TL final moulated first by a pair
> of 211's (@ 600w input) then later with triode/813's then 810's and later,
> 833-A's.  My 866A's kept flashing over @ 3000 volts, using a pole pig, so I
> settled for 2500v @ 400 ma.  Besides that gave a better match to the
> modulation transformer.

I remember the days as well as some others here when we all said "When
AM Kilowatts are outlawed, then only Outlaws will have AM Kilowatts."

The point being, Don, the power limit now is 1500w PEP output.  Like it
or not, that's the "Law".  So, when I said "you're not going to run it at that
level", I meant by keeping the output level down to 1500w PEP output.

Even with the Asymetrical audio study and research that has been done, I'm
not above running 500w DC input, with an SR of 3.  However, runing a
full kW, with an SR of 3 is ASKING for trouble, unless that particular
transmitter has the phase reversed.  The result is more carrier (which
makes it sound better, for "eliminating the static") with just as much audio.

Mathematically speaking, lower current in the final will result in lower
current on the secondary of the modulation transformer, which results
in more audio energy in the sidebands.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR