John,

   I like the way you sound without any processing to make the modulation more
symmetrical. Some of us go through great length to taylor the audio to get that
kind of asymmetry, and with you the audio from your raw voice is "perfect".
   You might add a speech polarity reversing switch, and if the FCC ever
challenges you, flick the switch, and back off the audio until the negative
modulation is less than 100%, and say there, what are you guys talking about? :)

PS: Or maybe run maximum carrier, and run NBFM, or PM. I am currently running
PM, and had a two way with a fellow on NBFM last night. He had true FM
detection, and said It sounded like 2 meters FM, with almost 100% silencing of
background noise...

Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO

"John Coleman, ARS WA5BXO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have been on vacation to visit the grandkids in Arkansas. Sorry about
the late reply.
I agree on the blatant abuse VS occasional over the limit. I
feel that the main thing is to keep the signal as clean as possible on
bandwidth due to distortion and phasing products and just be a gentleman
about all. Consider the other guys interests etc. These are
interesting thoughts though.
I have been altering the shape of the wave form at a low level
point to more equalize the symmetry. I have found it to be a more
soothing sound as most report when there is no QSB or noise but the
unmodified voice at full negative modulation and positive peaks where
the may be, has the most readability when the going is a little rougher.

I can't help but think the difference in the sounds of your
modulation decks must be in the flow of grid current VS AB1, plus just
because a triode has a low Rp doesn't necessarily make it as linier as a
tetrode in the same application and load. As a matter of fact I think
tetrodes especially beam tetrodes make exception modulators. A
modulator doesn't have to work into a varying load over one audio cycle
and should see the same load over all the audio frequencies (hence my
concern over having enough cap and choke for the modulation reactor and
coupling cap). Since the load is near constant and there is no damping
required then tetrodes should be superior modulators especially if one
could put a little inverse feed back on them. I plan on experimenting
with that in the future as well and with AB1 at the grid it should be
easy to do.