Geoff/W5OMR wrote:

Yes, but the original mail did not have your call...

Its a shame you are so far away from me..

try needing everything on the list, and living 2000 miles away.

from NY to PA is a short hop/skip/jump, and it doesn't matter
much, really, where in either state you are.

Down in Texas, we've got people that travel from up in the panhandle to down in the rio Grnade Valley, to the semi-annual
"Belton HamFest" in Belton, TX (central Texas), as well as from
other states.  When you have a hamfest in the middo of Texas,
you're talking a few hundred miles from any state-line.
a hundred (or so) to cover 5 states in 2 hours ain't nuttin'...

I've been there, done that.  It could -always- be worse, Brett.  ;-)

Hey now....what's a couple thousand miles for some nice gear? Or a mere 500 miles? Last July I drove from northern New England to the southwest corner of Colorado to pick up a broadcast transmitter. 2400+ miles each way, we did it in 5 1/2 days. Took my dad along too, he had a blast. Our only detour was to visit the Four Corners monument before coming back. Made me wonder how many others out there had hauled a 1400 lb transmitter up through Wolf Creek Pass? We sure didn't break any speed records, but we got there and back in one piece. I don't think it makes me nuts for having gone so far for an old transmitter. Besides, I owned it and telepathy wasn't cutting it, no matter how hard I concentrated. (o:

Geoff, sounds like Texas must be a lot like Wyoming for distance measurments. Back east here we go by miles or towns/villages/cities, but I have a brother out in Wyoming, and whenever we go anywhere out there he figures it by the hour, not the mile. Never hear him saying "Oh, that's about 150 miles from here", it's always "that's a couple hours east" or such. Weird.

I really hope to make Belton someday. Dayton too, for that matter. We have Hosstraders up here, just over in NH 'about an hour' away. Rocheser NY is apparently a big gathering too, just haven't gotten there yet myself. Seems like the socializing is more fun now than buying goodies, though.

73 de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ