Actually Geoff, in a number of published band plans, including the
ARRL's, 29.0 to 29.2 is actually designated as an AM slice of
frequencies. Not that we have exclusive use but at least a "noted
agreement". And, as I had been saying in earlier e-mails, like yourself,
3885, 7290, 14.286, 50.4 are designated as merely calling frequencies.
But, like all things human, amateur calls CQ on the calling frequency,
makes a contact, and then doesn't QSY. After years of doing this, AM'ers
wanting to start there own QSO, move up 3, 5 or 10 KHz's in either
direction of the calling frequency, and hence the formalization of the
imaginary window. The rest of the band could be void of signals to move
30, 40, 50 KHz away but generally it seems hard to grasp. The reasons, as
mentioned earlier, antenna is cut for 3885, have no VFO, have only 1
crystal, SSB'ers will get mad at me, transmitter is only tuned for 3885,
etc., etc. always seem to be the answers.

Anyway, this past Sunday, listening on 75 in the late afternoon, at one
point there were AM QSO's on 3810, 3825, 3837(AWA net meets around here),
3852, 3860, 3875, and 3885. Most weekends, at least here in the
Northeast, a number of AM'ers have at least found the VFO knob, and have
moved to other parts of the band. I'm willing to bet, at least here in
the Northeast/middle Atlantic area,  there will more of this type
spreading out throughout the holiday week.

Pete, wa2cwa